The 15th Most Poptastic Single of 2012
No expense spared on that microphone
Released: 19th January
Writers: Mike Eriksson, Johnny Sanchez, Hanif Sabzevari
Trivia: Overflow may be brilliant but it is quite an unlucky song. First it missed out on representing Denmark in Eurovision, then it was covered by the awfully-named male duo Man Meadow. Poor Ditte Marie.
Best bits: 1. Don’t leave me this waaaaaaaaay
2. Oh oh oh, my love will overflow
3. Every heartbeat’s calling your name, everything you do makes me insane
The 14th Most Poptastic Single of 2012
The star jump competition got out of hand
Released: 12th February
Writers: Daniel Stein, The Invisible Men
Trivia: Rita was no.3 in my Top 10 of 2012 predictions list, and I knew even then there was no way she could fail, as I’d already heard Hot Right Now. The Jay-Z namedrop certainly helped, but she wouldn’t have even had the chance to drop it if it hadn’t been for her involvement in this fantastic year-defining dance-pop song.
Best bits: 1. You know you’re only in it cos it’s hot right now, hot right now, turn it up right now
2. Can I get a woah-ohoh-ohoh? OH!
3. Throw your hands up, throw your hands up, throw your hands up, go on throw your hands up
The 13th Most Poptastic Single of 2012
Can’t she afford a fringe trim?
Released: 9th October
Writers: Taylor Swift, Max Martin, Shellback
Trivia: Taylor is clearly releasing this song just so when Harry Styles cheats on her with Selena Gomez she can avoid the “I told you so”s by saying “I told me so!”
Best bits: 1. Oh! Oh! Trouble, trouble, trouble
2. I knew you were trouble when you walked in, so shame on me now-ow
3. He was long gone when he met me, and I realise the joke is on me, hey!
The 12th Most Poptastic Single of 2012
Cher Lloyd, sponsored by Claire’s Accessories
Released: 2nd October
Writers: Cher Lloyd, Lukasz Gottwald, Rebecca Gomez, Henry Walter, Dan Omelio, Emily Wright, Ammar Malik
Trivia: Why I love Becky G: She said in a recent interview that she was excited to feature on Oath as she had been a fan of Cher since “Swagger Jagger, UK stuff.” Any friend of Swagger Jagger is a friend of mine.
Best bits: 1. Wherever you go, just always remember, that you got a home for now and forever
2. Laughing so damn hard, crashed your dad’s new car, all the scars we share, I promise, I swear!
3. Oh-ohoh, I’ll never let you go, oh-ohoh, this is my oath to you-ou
The 11th Most Poptastic Single of 2012
She should have gone to a bank, this machine charges
Released: 2nd July
Writers: Janee Bennett, Mikill Pane
Trivia: Janee (aka Jin Jin) was a contestant in the second series of Fame Academy, describing herself at the time as a “pop and reggae singer.”
Best bits: 1. At first I thought that you were just quite slow but I was wrong, now I know that you’re a psycho
2. I mean seriously what’s your problem? Don’t call me babe, I don’t know you from Adam!
3. Find another machine if you’re in such a rush, if not then back off and hush your mush